Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Things I Do Because I'm a Moron: V

Back in the early 80’s, when Steve Martin was still funny, he made a film called “The Jerk”.



In one of the scenes, his character, Navin Johnson, gets very excited when the new phone books are released. He feels that now he is a real person, since his name appears in the directory.

As I was picking up
Lil’ Penny at the Orthodintist the other day, there were a couple guys unloading a large parcel from the rear of a phone company truck. Taking a closer peek, I saw that the bundle was actually a stack of phone books.

I couldn’t resist.

“THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!” I said, grabbing one, “THE NEW PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE!”

One of the guys must have been familiar with the movie, because as I danced joyfully away, I heard him say to his partner…

“what a Jerk…”


(This Next One in the "Moron" Series is Word for Word True. I swear it!)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha,Ha! You're Steve Martin!
The Blond

4:34 PM  
Blogger SuperStar said...

How I DO enjoy reading your blog. It inspires me to become a better post writer. Or, I can always run around like a chicken with its head cut off like usual. Yeah, I think the latter may suffice. But, really, honestly, inspirational words...
Have a good one!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Reinman said...

Normally I take the authenticity of these anecdotes at face value, but - for whatever reason - this one seems a bit fishy.

Regardless, it makes a good story. Keep the moron-ness - be it actual or contrived - a 'comin.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Bring on the King Kong Review

12:06 PM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

Don't feel bad. I went into an eating establishment and asked "What's the soup de jour?" Uh, that's the soup of the day.

2:27 PM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

I also enjoy new phone books. Why didn't you call me?

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home