Friday, September 02, 2005

Here...Try This...

When I was younger, I used to go to the dentist a lot more than I do now. I didn't mind it so much, because he used to give me Nitrous Oxide for EVERYTHING.

Filling a tooth? "Here...try this..." On went the mask.

Routine cleaning? "Here...try this..."

I would go in to pay my bill.
"Hey, Al!" He would say reaching under the counter for a mask, "I just got some new stuff in. Here...try this." Then I would get out my checkbook.

I remember one time, he was going to do some pretty intensive work, so I was sitting there in the chair with the mask on, dropping off deeper and deeper. After a bit, I began to think, "Hey, this mask has been on for quite a while." After another minute or so, I started to get a little concerned. As the room began to fade out, I have a vague memory of the following events happening in short succession:

The Dental Assistant taking a casual glance at the Nitrous Oxide tank.

Her looking back away, and then suddenly starting, as if alarmed.

The Assistant jerking her head back toward the tank, taking a sharp intake of breath, and reaching quickly for the tank valve.

"Great..." I thought, "She's overdosed me. Now I'm going to die."

For some reason, I thought this was hilarious.


Later, my dentist asked me what had been so funny. I didn't bother to tell him.

He offered me some more gas for the ride home, but I said no. The monkey on my shoulder wasn't happy, but I didn't care.


8 Comments:

Blogger Reinman said...

you're really weird!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jilb said...

Agreed! I don't know what to think.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Last time I went in to pay my bill he never offered my gas. Just a shot in the righ butt check to numb the pain in the wallet area.

Dang, if someone would just come up with the 'home root canal kit' and sell it in the As Seen On TV store!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Okay, what the heck brought that up?

tootles! :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jilb said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Beckie said...

you are funny!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Beckie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:33 PM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

Happy late birthday!

That was a great post, and nitrous oxide is the best. I love it. I wish I had some now. ):

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home