Friday, November 18, 2005

Things I Do Because I'm a Moron IV

I was going to visit someone at the Hospital and needed a room number. While I was waiting at the desk, one of the receptionists was on the phone and seemed to be having a bit of a rough time.

Finally she set the receiver aside and asked her co-worker, "What do I do if a woman on the phone is only speaking Spanish and I can't understand her?"

Without thinking (typical...see post title), I dug deep into my non-existant foreign language experience and said aloud, "Uno monmento por favor?"


Her face broke into an expression of relief. Then, to my horror, she handed me the phone.

I held it to my ear like it was an iguana. "Uh..." I said.

"Quisiera comprar a su hermano un palillo de los pescados!" A voice on the line insisted.

As far as I could tell, she was upset because someone was comparing her brother, Herman, to a houshold pest, but I wasn't really sure.

I managed to remember one more phrase. I think I had heard it on a Veggie Tales video.

"No comprendo..." I said, handing the phone back to the receptionist.

I shrugged, "That's all I've got, I'm afraid."

"Thanks a lot." she said. I don't think she meant it.

Peggy Hill has got nothing on me.

(A quick, supplemental "Moron" story can be found Here.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Reinman said...

Haha, what did you think was gonna happen?

In your defense, though, it sounds like the lady was getting a little too worked up over fish sticks.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Bravo on the translation...

11:20 AM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

Peggy Hill. She's a cool cat.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Faye... said...

Ah...I had to smile when I read your "spanish " post...while away this past week , at our hotel the "chair boy" of spanish decent(for lack of a better name , he would be the one who sets up your chair with a pillow and towel any where you direct)finished and did a fine job asked me if it was okay...the towel had slipped and he felt bad. Any way this slipped out of my mouth..."no problemo" a huge smile came on his face and he said " you speak spanish?" I smiled back and had to tell him no.
By the way were those "real" words you spoke or did you just make them up? :)
Gina looks great by the way. You could always say,"isto" (the s is a hiss sound)it means "sit" in finnish.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Good Story, Faye. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a "Language" problem. As far as the Spanish quote, I think the post is old enough now to share the translation. As far as I can tell, it means, "I'd like to buy your brother a fish stick."

8:45 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

¡Usted es un hombre chistoso!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home