Monday, February 06, 2006

That's More Than Just Wrong....

61 year old Rolling Stones should not be playing rock & roll any more than 61 year old Marx Brothers should be making movies.



We could call the Superbowl performance disgusting. We could call it contrived. We could call it poorly executed with a sound mix that would make Phil Spector stop and reload.

But I don’t think that would capture the essence of what we saw.

It was, instead, quite simply…Sad.

My son said it was like watching the four aging rockers actually DECAYING on stage. We kept waiting for body parts to fall off.

This is true. My Daughter noticed that she has the same clothes Mick was wearing hanging in her closet. Mick, the bare midriff thing is kinda icky. Stop it. Really.



I understand that Keith Richards is, in fact, clinically dead and was being controlled by remote devices. (Remember Hotblack Desatio?) This would explain the guitar work. My favorite part was when he went down on one knee and several roadies had to help him up.

Mick hasn’t deviated more than two notes from F below Middle C since “Goin’ to a Go-Go” back in the 80’s. His SuperBowl rendition of Satisfaction would not only have gotten him booted from an American Idol audition before the first line was finished, but also kicked out of every Karaoke bar in Japan.

Back in 1965, Mick Jagger said, “I’d rather be dead than playing Satisfaction when I’m 45.”

He missed it by about 16 years.

11 Comments:

Blogger SuperStar said...

I agree that is was fairly lame to have 60 year old men in leather pants with wrinkles hanging over their belts singing on stage at half time. But, I concur that it is MUCH better than the Janet Jackson show of a few years before. I didn't like it, it just wasn't naked. I liked how the stage looked though.. That was cool.

8:14 AM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

I was debating on posting about my distain for the show. It would have had the word stinks in there about 100,000 times. I still think they NFL stands for No Fun League. The whole halftime show was no fun. I had more fun watching the pre-game show with Stevie Wonder. I am sure they could do better than the Stones. Are they trying to scare off the young fans? Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, I wonder what aging British Pop/Rock musician(s) are on for next year.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Dan,
Now, let's be careful here...

Sir Paul Rocked last year.

Or am I just COMPLETELY biased?

Nope...I checked and it's true. Last year, McCartney was the epitome of what both an older rocker and a good halftime show should be.

He sat at a piano, was dignified as appropriate to his age, yet he belted out the standards we all wanted to hear with an undiminished talent. It was the best Halftime show ever.

Ok, Yeah, I'm biased.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Yeah the half-time show was terrible good thing I was playing foosball though, otherwise I would have had to strangle myself.

12:01 PM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

I've been missing my black pants, with matching shirt. I now know where they went off to.

1:33 PM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

Just to make the worst comment on the topic: I didn't "Get No Satisfaction" from that performance.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Dan:

Ha!!!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Reinman said...

Those enormous photos have now made me HATE your blog.

(I'd have something more to say about this post, but I had to work during the Superbowl. And now, having read all this, skipping the whole ordeal suddenly doesn't seem like such a terrible thing.)

11:10 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

What I want to know is "Did Mick Jagger really say that about Satisfaction?"

8:06 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Yeah, it's pretty much verified...

Go Figure.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Faye... said...

The left arm piece of jewelry pretty much describes his condition ...in bondage.
I didn't get to see the show but I did hear a comment from a debate , and that was at first they were not going to allow anyone over 45 out on the field. But with a second thought , they changed their minds. Seems they remembered it was those 60 & over that made them famous!
So...what was the general age bracket out there?

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home