Thursday, August 18, 2005

Eleven Movie Plots

I heard from someone, (I think it was the Boy) sometime, (Late December back in '63) that there are really only eleven original movie plots. Every film (or TV show, play, or novel for that matter) that you have ever seen or read is just a variation on, or combination of, one or more of these eleven themes.

It made a lot of sense to me. I mean, it really helps to explain why Hollywood has had trouble coming out with anything this year that isn't a remake of a
70's film or (worse) TV show that we didn't really care about in the first place.

So I said, "Your line of thought intrigues me, young one. Tell me more, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter." (
Joke credit...)

But here's the rub: He couldn't tell me what the plots were. He got me all pumped up with this great theory, and then left me hanging for the details.

So since then,
the Blond and I have been trying figure out what these plots are.

Here's the game:

I'll list what we've come up with so far. We need both of you readers to help us finish the list.

Here's the rules:
1. To be one of the eleven, it has to be a unique plot, not a variation of one of the others.
2. Each plot must have an example of at least one film that fits it.
3. If any two plots are too similar, we should combine them into one to make room for another.
4. A film can combine more than one type of plot.
5. If a film doesn't fit any stated plot line, chances are you have come up with another.
6. Please Post your comments. I'll try to update the list with a new post from time to time.

Here's the List so far:
1. New Boss takes over: Changes Everything: Ex: "9-5", "
Gung Ho"
2. Child not living up to Parents Expectations: "
Elf"
3. Hero (or reluctant hero) rescues feisty Heroine:
"Duh..."
4. Hero gets a big head and deserts friends before coming to senses, usually after a good talking to by an old friend;(Classic Sequel Plot): "Mighty Ducks 2", Toy Story 2", Princess Diaries 2", "Godfather 2", and so on...
5. Mistaken Identity (With Comical or Dramatic Consequences): "North by Northwest"
6. Natural or Man-made Disaster (With an All-Star Cast!): "
Towering Inferno", "Titanic"
7. Unforeseen Consequences (Be careful what you wish for): "It's a Wonderful Life"
8. Boy Meets Girl; Parents, Friends, etc do not approve: "Romeo & Juliet" et. al.

Hmmmm...Problematic, at best.
Can you help me?

We need at least three more, not to mention "fixing" the first eight.

Post on, friends...

P.S. "Bad" guy discovers the true meaning of Love, Christmas, whatever: Now
where did I get that one?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Reinman said...

That makes me sad.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Spam on Blogs now...where will it end?

I deleted them all Sb Style

7:39 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

You forgot my favorite movie...2 people who innocently fall in love that shouldn't (which makes this different from parent's not approving) aka: An Affair to Remember/You've Got Mail

6:21 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Oops- I just realized that I posted that comment under larry's identity. lol becuase, that is so NOT his favorite movie. I just wanted to clairify that for his sake beucase he does frequent this blog and I'll log in as my true identity.

6:23 AM  
Blogger JC said...

It would seem that somehow my wife HACKED my mac and stole my identity.

Now I just don't know who I am any more.

Kinda reminds me of the Citibank commercials.


-Larry as JC...or is the the other way around?!

7:17 AM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

What about the plot of the good guy with a chip on his shoulder going out for revenge/something to prove. Rambo:First Blood, Collateral Damage, Blood Sport.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

You forgot to mention the plot where a man turns into a fish, and um, well that's about it...The Incredible Mr. Limpet, Splash, A Fish Called Wanda...oops, maybe not that one.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

LOLOL

Folks, this is great. These are exactly the kind of insightful posts I was hoping for.

I had a good laugh on the morning of the wedding.

(Not that the wedding itself isn't funny enough...)

9:15 AM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

Sorry, I can't help you there.

9:10 AM  
Blogger adidas nmd said...

chrome hearts outlet
yeezy sneakers
skechers outlet online
nike zoom
nike roshe one
michael jordan shoes
nike air max 2017
jordan shoes
reebok outlet
adidas nmd

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home