Monday, April 25, 2005

Really, I'm Not That Cheap

The other day, it got down to about 32 degrees in our house.

There wasn't a power outage or terror attack or anything like that. It's just that I have this rule: After April 1st, winter is OVER. I turn off the heat and expect it to stay off until about, say, next February.

It's not that I'm inherently cheap in everything. I just don't like paying extra money to
the man that could be going to other, more productive endeavors.

So anyway, we get this "cold snap". (In APRIL! Who'd figure it?) The blond and the whiner (Oops, I mean my reason for living and the very air I breathe...) start to complain about how "cold" it is in the house.

Sitting in our dining room, they tried to reason with me.
"I'm turning on the heat," the wife shivered.
"Yeah, it's freezing!" whined the girlscicle.
"No way! Winter is OVER!" said the idiot.

Doogie didn't say anything. I don't think he feels temperatures.

"C'mon, this is stupid," said the spouse, "Here, feel my hands."

She extended a bluish claw toward me.

"Yeow! Holy Cow!" I screamed as she made contact, "Put some gloves on!"

I kind of sensed right there that I had lost the fight.

It was a warm weekend in the house.
Everyone was happy, except me.


I turned the heat back off today.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jilb said...

It does get really cold in there, especially if you're sleeping upstairs.. brrr...

8:44 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Crybaby...

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jilb said...

cheapo

10:18 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

"Cheapo.." Wasn't he one of the Marx Brothers?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

By the way, If you look at our pictures along side this little exchange, it looks like a match, or game of some sort. Who wins?

11:26 AM  
Blogger JC said...

well ya lost once already-hee hee

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jilb said...

Depends on what hurts more? Getting hit by a paintball or a tennis ball?

12:57 PM  
Blogger [ brooke ] said...

Was Doogie even down at the moment? He tends to stay in his whole most of the time.

1:08 PM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

A tennis ball loses by a landslide. It doesn't go mach 2and it also isn't made of plastic. It's just big and slow. I declare 15-0 Al.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Reinman said...

Oh...everyone is funny except me...

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... It's getting a bit cool. I think I will turn the air-con down.
~mike

3:38 PM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

Ouch.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Haha Mike, very funny. We all know your living in the warm weather paradise. It was snowing nonstop today. -sigh-

tootles! :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jilb said...

It was snowing here today too. ugh..

2:48 PM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

I didn't mind the snow. It wasn't even snow in my eyes. It never stuck to the ground long enough to turn the ground white . . . just wet. Suck it up; better weather is coming.

5:15 PM  
Blogger JMS said...

I will disagree with Dan just for the sake of argument. I say it depends who is hitting the tennis ball. If you are standing at the net getting pelted by a 100+ mph serve by Andre Agassiz, you are going to feel that sucker.

Now, the average mass of a paintball is about 1.5 g, while the mass of a tennis ball (a well known physics constant) is 57 g. The maximum regulation velocity for a paintball is 300 fps, while a speedy tennis serve can be hit at about 150 mph which translates to 220 fps. Using the formula for kinetic energy [(1/2)*m*v^2], we find the energy of the paintball to be 67.5 Newtons. The energy of the tennis ball on the other hand is 1621.4 Newtons, all of which will be transferred to your body when the ball stops on impact. That's an impulse, an impulse that wins by a factor of 24.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Reinman said...

Haha, you just pulled a 12th grade Doug. Bravo!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No more birthday; no more excuse.
mike

11:19 PM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

Now that I am a homeowner, and also very frugal...way to go General, turn that heat down! Now where's my long johns?

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home