Friday, September 30, 2005

Wait a Minute….This is Stupid.

Ok, let's begin a new feature on the Band Blog. From time to time, or maybe never again, we will chronicle events from the past and present that beg the following question…

“Wasn’t there ANYONE involved ANYWHERE in the decision making process who could have headed this off by simply raising their hand and saying, 'Wait a minute…This is Stupid.'?”

Now, to keep it simple, we will begin in the true, “Besides Michael Jordan” tradition, with this one…


Enough Said.

Here’s another. Back in the 80’s there was an ad for, Tylenol, I think. The brand was not important. What was notable, was that they got a soap opera actor from General Hospital to actually sit behind a deck in his medical smock and say the following:

“I’m not a doctor, but I play one on TV.” Then he proceeded to advise us as to what pain reliever we should buy.

What kind of message did that send? “We think you are so dumb, that you will believe this guy just because he admits to PRETENDING to be a doctor. Wasn’t there ANYONE at the ad agency with the wherewithal to stand up and say, “Wait a Minute…This is Stupid.”

One more for our older fans…Remember
this one?


So, got any more? Comment away.
And please, no comments about how someone should have intervened before I wrote this post. I already thought of that one.

9 Comments:

Blogger [ brooke ] said...

“I’m not a doctor, but I play one on TV.”

I'm sure that decreased sales..

1:45 PM  
Blogger Colonel Havoc said...

No, Seriously! They ran it for about TEN Years! It must have moved some product, but it was the most patronising thing I've ever seen. What in the world were they THINKING?

8:34 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I totally remember the "I'm not a dr...but I play one...." I kinda remember the football one, but only becuase I worked at a Dunhams Sporting Goods Store- back in those days, football wasn't the popular sport in the motor city.
As for coming up with one on my own, my brain hurts to bad to be creative.

6:55 AM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

I think this one tops the list. click Here.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

Did anyone dare tell Hirohito before he attacked Pearl Harbor, "This is stupid."?

2:20 PM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

And let us not forget the ABC show with singing cops...what was it called? Cop Rock? Something like that, I am sure the general remembers.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Reinman said...

Also, we should make a musical Christmas special with the whole Star Wars gang.

That would be fun!

3:12 PM  
Blogger midnight mama said...

Huge laugh from reinman's comment!!

10:01 PM  
Blogger adidas nmd said...

links of london
longchamp
michael kors handbags sale
new england patriots jerseys
yeezy shoes
yeezy shoes
cheap basketball shoes
kyrie 3
nike roshe run
nike huarache

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home