Monday, June 23, 2008

Nerdvana: Day 2

Emma's Dad had a toothache, so the Colonel & The Blond took her out to learn Important Life Skills.

Here she learning how to pet a shark.

I don't know what her parents were thinking. The Colonel is getting to the age where he shouldn't really be trusted to keep his eye on a 1-year old, or even operate an automobile, for that matter. On this trip alone, by my latest count, the Colonel has:

1. Missed about 12 exits while engaged in animated discussions about Baseball.
2. Gone the wrong way down a one-way street (I am not making this up...) TWICE.
3. Driven over several small barnyard animals.
4. Allowed his granddaughter to pet a shark.

As if that were not bad enough, while the Blond and I were at the mall, we were thinking about how great of a workout it would be to briskly walk all the way around all three levels. With this in mind, I began to look around for stationary staircases, reasoning that one would want to take the stairs between floors for maximum workout efficiency.

I was a bit disappointed to see that there were only escalators available. That's when I thought, for a split second, and I am still not making this up:

"Man...no stairways. Only escalators...If they had a power outage they'd be Toast."


The Director picked up some Dr. House Medication, so it was off to Our Ultimate Destination.

"Everyone there was a nerd, except us."
If there is a pilgrimage for Geeks, we had definitely arrived.

The Hermit looked concerned.

Emma made some new friends. (Note the picture behind R2-D2)

Penny exhibited little or no resistance to the nerdovirus.

Neither did the Colonel. Most disturbing was the fact that we were ALL able to pose this shot from memory.

Fans of the strip "Great Moments in Star Wars" (Roughly 92% of the Colonel's readers) will appreciate the Director's joy at finding this strikingly accurate souvenir.

I include these final two pics, simply because they are just so cool. To stand there, right next to the real props and models, was actually pretty great. Yeah, there was some "educational" crud and applied science and all that garbage mixed in with it, (The Hermit said they had to include that interactive junk to get government funding) but overall, it was just totally, totally...well...

...cool.

And yes, we are Nerds.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you guys were at the mall, huh? When? I live about a mile from there... Actually, my little brother's here with me for a couple of days. Asta, Alan, and I went camping and bike riding in the badlands (of North Dakota) last weekend... 'tis the time for vacations.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

At least it wasn't a Star Trek convention.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Graceland King said...

And really, don't feel bad about the nerdiness. I am going to watch Modern Marvels about oil tankers now.

4:13 PM  
Blogger dangeresque dan said...

I'm with you all on the being a nerd. I watched Modern Marvels one day about axes. Sad part is, I was completely enthralled with everything I seen. Honestly though Col, I am a bit saddened to see no costumes. Only real nerds go to those things in character. Hope you had an enjoyable time with the family though.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOh, I wish I could watch Modern Marvels. Darn cost of cable. Ah well, at least I have internet.

8:29 AM  
Blogger JMS said...

The axe hasn't been a modern marvel since the Neolithic period. GMISW, on the other hand, IS a modern marvel of artistry.

Word.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home